- Be a United States citizen and at least 18 years of age.
- Possess a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Iowa.
- Not be addicted to drugs or alcohol.
- Be of good moral character as determined by a thorough background investigation and fingerprint search.
- Have not been convicted of a felony or a crime involving moral turpitude.
- Pass a physical test adopted by the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy.
- Have uncorrected vision of not less than 20/100 in both eyes, corrected to 20/20 and have color vision that meets occupational demands of law enforcement.
- Have normal hearing in each ear.
- Be examined by a licensed physician or surgeon.
- Meet the physical requirements necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of a law enforcement officer.
- Not be opposed, by reason of conscience or belief, to the use of force when necessary.
- Possess a high school diploma or GED.
- Possess a two-year degree in Criminal Justice/Police Science or possess a four-year degree in any field of study.