Collision Reconstruction

Iowa State University Police has one Collision Reconstructionist and two Technical Investigators on staff.

All three are members of the Midwest Association of Technical Accident Investigators (M.A.T.A.I.).

M.A.T.A.I. has membership from the surrounding states, Colorado and Ireland. ISU Police hosted the 1996 and 2003 M.A.T.A.I. Annual Conference and Training Seminar. The emphasis in 1996 was on bicycle/motor vehicle collisions. W.R. “Rusty” Haight was the guest speaker.  The 2003 conference focused on a “Back To Basics” concept.  Other training seminars have included motorcycles, pedestrians, trains and commercial motor vehicles.

Iowa law requires a State Collision Report to be filed if there is property damage over $1,500 or a personal injury. ISU Police will take a report no matter what the amount of damage is. We use MARS (Mobile Accident Reporting System) to make our collision reports. This is a computer program and reports that need to filed with the state are sent electronically to the Iowa Department of Transportation.

Tips on reporting a collision:

  • Report collisions on university property to ISU Police.
  • Report collisions on city property to Ames Police Department.
  • DO NOT move any vehicle, person or debris until an officer tells you to. You could destroy evidence crucial to the investigation.
  • Have your driver’s license, registration and proof of insurance ready for the officer.
  • If you are a witness to a collision, tell the dispatcher whether it is a property damage or personal injury collision. Make sure the officer gets your name, address and phone number.