Computer and Mobile Forensics
The Iowa State University Police Computer Forensics Lab was created in 2002 to address the growing computer crimes. Investigators receive specialized training in the collection and analysis of digital evidence. In addition to conducting computer related investigations, the Unit is also dedicated to:
- conducting forensic analysis of digital evidence,
- analysis of cellular phones
- providing expert testimony,
- assisting prosecutors with legal interpretation of scientific results, and
- training of other criminal justice agencies in areas relating to computer related digital evidence.
The Computer Forensics Lab works closely with the Iowa Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force (ICAC) located in Ankeny, Iowa. For more information about Iowa ICAC, click here.
The Computer Forensics Lab has been called upon to assist on a variety of cases including:
- Possession of child pornography,
- Email Stalking/Threats
- Identity Theft
- Sale of Drugs
- Credit Card Fraud
- Sexual Assaults
- Web Page Hacking/Denial of Service Attacks